Wondrous Words Wednesday #1

Wednesday 2 October 2013


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Bermuda Onion, where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.

I'm currently reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, so while I have encountered a lot of  new words - or, rather,  a lot of new terminology - they can't easily be used in everyday conversation. Imagine meeting your friend for lunch and saying 'sorry I'm late, I had to stop to draw an iratze on my arm'. However, that doesn't stop them from being very cool words. These are two of my favourites that I stumbled across: 


stele - a wand like instrument used by Shadowhunters to draw runes on themselves, weapons and clothes
'She looked nervously at Simon, who was very pale, and then at Jace,who had raised the stele in his hand and was moving the tip lightly, in a sort of square shape, across the back of the screen.'

hubris - excessive pride or self-confidence
'"My signature," he said. "I knew it was folly when I did it. An act of hubris..."'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez