Book Talk: Graphic Novels

Friday 6 March 2015

As you may or may not know, I am a big fan of graphic novels. Specifically, the collected volumes of individual comic issues. I read a lot of Marvel, so it's safe to say I stick mainly with superheroes, but lately I've found myself wanting to branch out into the more novelly graphic novels. You know, the ones that are really long and not made up of several issues, the ones that actually tell a whole story. I don't really know where to start, though.

Part of why I'm such a big fan of graphic novels is because they are so, well, graphic. I love seeing all the different styles of artwork, the colour schemes, and how artists decide to sketch things. I love how the pictures accompany the text and really help bring the story to life. The artwork plays a huge part in whether I enjoy a volume or not, and it's this that really got me thinking.


Are graphic novels literature?

Now, there's no denying that they're art - and I know that literature is a form of art, but that's just the thing. You can't really compare a novel and a graphic novels. One is solely prose (in the majority of cases, at least) and one is, fundamentally, a collection of art. But does art really mean literature?

This has in no way hindered my love of graphic novels - they're so quick and fun, and I love how stories can be told in two different mediums - but it has got me thinking. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez