Book Review: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Friday 17 July 2015

Falling Kingdoms
Morgan Rhodes
Genre(s):  Fantasy, Young adult
Published: January 3rd 2013
Pages: 432
Rating: 2 stars

In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.


As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.

Falling Kingdoms looked to be the start of an epic young adult high fantasy when I picked it up. Unfortunately, when I started reading it I realised that that may not be the case.

From the prologue, I didn't really enjoy the writing style, and I wasn't keen on the introduction of the magic system. I'm prefer my magic to be magic for everything, that people either have or don't - like the magic in Harry Potter - not elemental magic.

I also didn't care for any of the characters and found them to be all rather similar. No one particularly stuck out, and often got confused as to who was who and where was where. And not even in a good way, it was because their voices sounded the same and everyone came across as angry. Safe to say, it was rather boring. 

Things were also very predictable. The plot twists weren't twists at all, as I saw them coming from miles away and so wasn't surprised. They felt very basic and cliché, like fantasy basics. And aside from its twists, the plot in general was just... eh. Nothing special or notable, nothing out of the ordinary, just standard - and poorly executed - fantasy fare.

The length of the chapters also bugged me. They were fairly lengthy and not a lot tended to happen in them. There were large amounts of filler and unnecessary description. It was like reading a bad combination of Cassandra Clare and Tolkein's work. I like things to be to the point, and Falling Kingdoms did not come across that way to me.

I do feel that if you are totally new to fantasy - be that young adult or high fantasy - then this might work for you. However, I'd say not to go in expecting much, and that are a lot more, much better fantasy series out there.

2 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate you did not like this book. I guess it was just not your cup of tea. Hopefully your next book is better.
    Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to like it as well when I picked it up :( I'm going to give the second book a chance though, just not in the near future!

      Delete

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez