TBR Feature #30

Wednesday 30 November 2016

TBR Feature is the chance for me to, every Wednesday, pick one of my unread books and discuss it: why I picked it up, when I'll get round to reading it, if I'm still interested in it at all etc.

The Strings of Murder by Oscar de Muriel

If I remember correctly, I found this promising blend of historical fiction and mystery in a book shop in King's Cross station. I was instantly drawn in by main features: 19th century Scotland, dead violinist, paranormal investigation. Sounds fantastic, right?

So why haven't I read it already? Honestly, I just haven't been in the mood for historical fiction. It may be one of my favourite genres but - like when it comes to fantasy - I'm very picky about it. I'll only read about certain centuries or eras, and anything too muck like a history textbook doesn't make the cut, but neither do the flowery romance novels. Luckily for The Strings of Murder, it falls within my acceptable criteria of being set in the Victorian period and delightfully grim.

Within the next few months I would like to give this a go, if only to start whittling my way through the small pile of historical fiction that I've just... forgotten about. Chances are I'll enjoy this, and it will rekindle my excitement towards the genre as a whole.

Have you read The Strings of Murder?

2 comments:

  1. That does sound like a lot for one book - history, fiction ,and fantasy/paranormal. I am interested to see what you think of the book though and hope you get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I might review it when I actually get round to it :)

      Delete

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez