TBR Feature #32

Wednesday 14 December 2016

TBR Feature is the chance for me to, every Wednesday, pick one of my unread books and discuss it: why I picked it up, when I'll get round to reading it, if I'm still interested in it at all etc.

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

I found this for a reasonable price in Asda a long time ago and picked it up with the intention of reading it last summer. Obviously I didn't, as I'm featuring it right now.

It's not just the size of this book - and the following two novels - that's made me hesitant to pick it up, although that definitely plays a part. Nor is it the fact that it's more of an adult fantasy and I'm still dipping my toes into those waters, despite being a self-proclaimed fantasy fan, that's holding me back. It's the amount of negative reviews I've seen for it.

Now, I'm sure there will at least be elements of this that I'll enjoy: the fact that I'll have conquered a long, adult fantasy for one. I've tried not to look too deeply into the negativity surrounding this as I don't want to be put off before I even get to it, and I'd like to avoid as much prejudice as possible, so I couldn't tell you why so many people dislike it, just that they do. From the synopsis, it seems very interesting - a hidden world of witches, vampires, and demons? Yes please! - if a little heavy on the romance.

It sounds as if the romance plays a key role in furthering the plot, though, so hopefully it won't be badly done and I'll be able to enjoy the book as a whole. But then, it's extremely rare that I enjoy romance, so maybe the whole book will be ruined for me.

Have you read A Discovery of Witches?

2 comments:

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez