TBR Feature #67

Wednesday 16 August 2017

TBR Feature is the chance for me to, every Wednesday, pick one of my unread books and discuss it: why I picked it up, when I'll get round to reading it, if I'm still interested in it at all etc.

Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

Do you ever go looking for a specific book and then end up buying something completely different to what you had in mind? Because I do. A lot.

This was the case with Sybil, and it was only by chance that I found this, as I don't always remember to look in the psychology section in Waterstones. When I did, though, I had to get this as with university, a Clinical Psychology degree, and the desire to become a trauma counsellor looming I have a need to read more books based on the subject as a whole - and those that centre around trauma based disorders. Not that I've read any of the psychology books I've bought, yet...

I am, however, aware of the problems with Sybil and know that I need to take it with a very large pinch of salt. I'm interested in learning more about Dissociative Identity Disorder and I'm hoping this will open my eyes to some aspects of it that I previously wasn't aware of and pave the way for my own research, even if it is mostly lies. I just hope that it's not totally ridiculous and insulting to the people who are affected by the disorder, but if it was written purely for profit that doesn't look good.

Have you read Sybil?

2 comments:

  1. fascinating sounding premise! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm also hoping it ties into part of my degree :)

      Delete

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez