The Suffragettes by Various Sources

Monday 9 October 2017

'Once they are aroused, once they are determined, nothing on earth and nothing in heaven will make women give way; it is impossible.'

A potted history of the women who pioneered feminism and changed the world.

This is an important little black classic. Particularly for those interested in learning about the political history of the UK, and for those who identify as women.

For such a small book this manages to pack in a fair bit of information. Some of it - such as the propaganda posters and mention of Millicent Fawcett and Emmeline Pankhurst - more common knowledge, but some that you may never have known about. I for one was totally unaware that Pankhurst had given speeches in America. Nothing is particularly complex, but if you're after an introduction to the subject I don't see why you wouldn't pick this up.

My biggest issue, however, was that I struggled to understand a lot of the laws and bills described. I don't have a head for that kind of thing, and it wasn't helped by the meandering writing style of the twentieth century. Nevertheless, I was able to pull the main points from the text and have a new appreciation for the women who fought for our right to vote.

While perhaps not the easiest read, definitely one that has cemented the importance of not throwing my voice - and those of all the brave women - away by not casting my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez